Friday, April 25, 2008

Merry's depressed again

At the risk of sounding like an overly protective mother; I'm worried about Merry. He seems so depressed. He's not taking an interest in anything at the moment. He won't give eye contact. He won't engage in play. He won't accept any affection. He's being really quite autistic. All he wants to do is lie in his igloo in the conservatory and mope.

I don't know if he's in a grump about his prescription food, which he's rapidly getting bored of.

Maybe he's not feeling well ... I just dunno.

I wish I wish I wish we could just go in there, pick him up and give him a big ol' cuddle.

Patience Garstang, patience.

3 comments:

Freya's Staff said...

Awww, I'm so sorry to hear about Merry - I know first-hand how it can be heartbreaking. How long till you go back to the vets with the stool sample?

I'd normally suggest a bit of ham as a treat, but considering the diet thing, maybe not...

To put your mind at rest, you could always just hang out with him? Make yourself comfortable near him where he can see you and just read a book? Why can't you go in there and pick him up and give him a big hug? We're sending our love anyway...xx

thecopycup said...

Thanks for your advice. It's much appreciated. It's really difficult with Merry. After a promising start, he has really regressed. He doesn't like being picked up and struggles to get away. He doesn't really like being stroked. It's very confusing for Rob and myself. We've tried ignoring him in case he wants time on his own. We've tried showering him with attention. Sam is quite the opposite; he loves the attention. So we know it's nothing we've done wrong. Ho hum ... we still love him!

thecopycup said...

When I say ignoring, I mean giving him space ...