
Phew, what a weekend.
The claw trimming went really well. I was worried that the boys would FREAK. But they didn't. In fact they were almost good. Sam had a little bleed when the vet cut one claw too far down, but even that didn't seem to bother him.
The Boy and I took the opportunity to ask the vet a load of questions:
1) Does Sam have a cloudy eye?
The vet had a good look in Sam's eyes. He said he couldn't see a problem per se, although he thought there appeared to be a little corneal oedema. After a quick Google, I discovered that this is often as a result of injury and can make a cat's eyesight a little blurry.
2) Is there anything that can be done about Merry's runny bottom?
The vet was concerned about this because he said cats' poo should be firm and solid. It shouldn't even be fudgy, which is what we've classed within the normal spectrum until now. He has put Merry on a prescription diet for a week and wants a poo sample. He also gave us worming treatment to apply to both cats and some probiotic powder for Merry.
It's turning out to be a nightmare feeding the boys different diets. They're so used to swapping meals half way through (don't ask us why, it's just a thing they do). Worse still, we tried feeding Sam that Hi Life food, which is 60% human grade meat (apparently) and he turned his nose up at it!!! He wouldn't touch it. What an eejit. It smells fab!!
Then today, I thought Sam had been stung in his mouth by a wasp. He looked really uncomfortable around the mouth, licking his lips and frothing. And his chin looked quite swollen. After talking to the emergency vet on the phone, I was informed that yes, it was an emergency and a consultation would cost £122. Yikes. The Boy and I chatted about it for a while, and then The Boy suggested that maybe it was the worming fluid, which I'd applied to Sam's skin in the wrong place. I thought I was putting it between Sam's shoulder blades, but his body was twisted, so I'd actually put it within licking distance on his shoulder. After watching Sam for a little while, The Boy's suspicions were confirmed. Whenever Sam tried to lick the worming fluid off his back, he started frothing and licking his lips wildly. The poor little sausage looked really uncomfortable. Poor old Sammy boy. He's not having a good weekend.
And my other news, which throws a spanner in the works, is that I might have to take in my mum and dad's dog. He's a beautiful, gentle Lurcher/Border Collie cross called Merlin. I'm not sure how Sam and Merry would cope with this. It's still early days on this one and the boys will always come first ... but it's something I have to seriously consider.
Like I said; a crazy weekend.
The claw trimming went really well. I was worried that the boys would FREAK. But they didn't. In fact they were almost good. Sam had a little bleed when the vet cut one claw too far down, but even that didn't seem to bother him.
The Boy and I took the opportunity to ask the vet a load of questions:
1) Does Sam have a cloudy eye?
The vet had a good look in Sam's eyes. He said he couldn't see a problem per se, although he thought there appeared to be a little corneal oedema. After a quick Google, I discovered that this is often as a result of injury and can make a cat's eyesight a little blurry.
2) Is there anything that can be done about Merry's runny bottom?
The vet was concerned about this because he said cats' poo should be firm and solid. It shouldn't even be fudgy, which is what we've classed within the normal spectrum until now. He has put Merry on a prescription diet for a week and wants a poo sample. He also gave us worming treatment to apply to both cats and some probiotic powder for Merry.
It's turning out to be a nightmare feeding the boys different diets. They're so used to swapping meals half way through (don't ask us why, it's just a thing they do). Worse still, we tried feeding Sam that Hi Life food, which is 60% human grade meat (apparently) and he turned his nose up at it!!! He wouldn't touch it. What an eejit. It smells fab!!
Then today, I thought Sam had been stung in his mouth by a wasp. He looked really uncomfortable around the mouth, licking his lips and frothing. And his chin looked quite swollen. After talking to the emergency vet on the phone, I was informed that yes, it was an emergency and a consultation would cost £122. Yikes. The Boy and I chatted about it for a while, and then The Boy suggested that maybe it was the worming fluid, which I'd applied to Sam's skin in the wrong place. I thought I was putting it between Sam's shoulder blades, but his body was twisted, so I'd actually put it within licking distance on his shoulder. After watching Sam for a little while, The Boy's suspicions were confirmed. Whenever Sam tried to lick the worming fluid off his back, he started frothing and licking his lips wildly. The poor little sausage looked really uncomfortable. Poor old Sammy boy. He's not having a good weekend.
And my other news, which throws a spanner in the works, is that I might have to take in my mum and dad's dog. He's a beautiful, gentle Lurcher/Border Collie cross called Merlin. I'm not sure how Sam and Merry would cope with this. It's still early days on this one and the boys will always come first ... but it's something I have to seriously consider.
Like I said; a crazy weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment