Thursday, March 6, 2008

The great carrot love affair ...

Sam is in love with a 3 inch carrot. A plush one, not a real one. It used to be attached to a piece of string which hung from a plastic 'fishing' rod. A carrot on a stick basically. However it somehow became detached from the stick, and is now Sam's favourite thing in the whole wide world. He rolls around with it for hours on end; tossing it in the air and chasing it about on the wooden floor.

His looked utterly crestfallen the other evening when I took the carrot from under his nose. And overjoyed when I gave it back. You'd laugh if you saw him trotting round the house with it in his mouth. Too cute.

Pictures to follow.

I'm trying to pic Sam up more often. He won't let you hold him for more than a few seconds. But I'm stroking him two or three times , then gently placing him down. I want to get him out of the habit of leaping down in a panic (which he's done a couple of times). Hopefully by showing him that I will put him down, he'll relax a bit. It's already looking promising because he doesn't run away and hide when I put him down. He hangs around for a few more strokes.

Merry is still being a hermit. He's not a happy bunny. He looks so miserable. And, unless there's food involved, he simply doesn't want to know. I wonder what it is. I wonder if he's home sick for the cattery. Or if he's in culture shock. I'm going to try and watch out for possible signs of stress.

He does sometimes surprise me though ...

Last night, he and Sam were chasing each other all over the house. They were charging up and down the stairs before skidding into the living room at 100 miles per hour. How can two little cats make so much noise, I ask you!

Sometimes it sounds like Merry is saying hello. I wonder if he is emulating what The Boy and I say to him most often.

No comments: