I have to confess, this evening I feel quite down in the dumps about Merry and Sam. They're so nervous and skitty, it's really depressing me. The only time I ever feel they're my friends is when I'm feeding them. The rest of the time they're running away from me as though I'm Jack the Ripper. I know it's to be expected ... and I knew it would take time. I still do. But it isn't easy. It's not like popping down to the pet shop and picking up a couple of friendly moggies. It really is like having two little wildlings running round your house.
I tried to bribe Merry to come and sit on my lap with a cat treat this evening. BIG MISTAKE. As soon as he got close enought, SWOOSH; his paw shot out like a bullet and tried to grab the treat. Only he missed. And got my hand instead. I swear to you; those claws are sharper than any cat I have ever known. They're like razors. Merry and Sam should actually be re-Christened Freddy and Kruger.
**SIGH**
I hope they get more friendly in the next 11 or 12 years.
The RSPCA does an AMAZING job. To donate, please send a cheque made out to RSPCA to: RSPCA Ashford Garden Cattery, 34 Station Road, Ashford, Kent, TN23 1PH
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It’s never easy, but isn’t that what makes it so much more worthwhile? Trust is so difficultly built up yet so easily broken, but at the end of the day, you’re doing the opposite of what far too many pet owners do. They take the easy route and go to the pet shop, and then they dump the cats later, when they aren’t cute kittens anymore, or when they realize what a commitment a pet is. You shouldn’t feel discouraged. The world could use more cat people like you. They have gorgeous markings, by the way. Congratulations.
I couldn't have put it better myself!!
I have adopted Gandalf and Frodo and reading your blog certainly helps me take the good with the "bad" But doesn't it feel fantastic when you get something as simple as a cuddle from one of them?
Post a Comment